• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Split ring pliers?

I’ve had both over the years. The ones above (and similar models) sound good, but I‘ve never changed a split-ring whilst out fishing. Ever. And the clippers round my neck are all I need to cut line and braid.

The Halco design is much quicker and easier to use (google it and check out one of the many videos), they work on the smallest to the largest rings and they don’t stretch / bend them out of shape.

just my 2p
They seem a bugger to find UK?

Ah. No idea! Bought mine years ago. Can’t remember where from. Probably Rokmax. Maybe give them a call to see if they are expecting new stock? Alternatively, looks like there are a few in France

hth

Last edited:
They seem a bugger to find UK?
7 lots listed on eBay Thrash, but none in the UK. Cheapest are these from Croatia at £28.56 including postage. It does look like they can't be used for anything other than split rings too - no cutters or decent grippy bits for unhooking.

7 lots listed on eBay Thrash, but none in the UK. Cheapest are these from Croatia at £28.56 including postage. It does look like they can't be used for anything other than split rings too - no cutters or decent grippy bits for unhooking.

Aye, had a look there. WAVEINN popped up with them at £15.99 and £6.99 postage. I have never bought from them so no idea how reliable they are.

Aye, had a look there. WAVEINN popped up with them at £15.99 and £6.99 postage. I have never bought from them so no idea how reliable they are.
I think WaveInn are based in Spain, but don't count me on it. Never bought from them.

If you want a multi-tool, go for it. They aren’t as quick and easy to use as the Halco’s, but if you only change split rings once in a while, then why not.

I use my Halco’s on everything from LRF size lures to heavy gauge stuff for hooks and pirks for Shetland, hence my preference.

As for cutting braid / mono on the beach or boat? I find a pair of clippers around my neck far more convenient. When it comes to unhooking, I prefer a pair of long nosed pliers.

As the saying goes, “You pays yer money and takes yer choice“.

Cheap enough Al but it doesn't say what they are made of so don't know how well they would stand up to the salt atmosphere. Plus you would still need ordinary pliers for cuttting & unhooking!
Yep - hence my recommendation for the Kastking and subsequent posts Trampster - just came across these and they look a lot like the Halco's...and are very similar to a set by SP that I have in my home stored lure collection.
I've also a set of massively over engineered and hugely expensive Abel IGFA combination pliers from my days on board a blue water charter boat where we didn't use clips etc as connectors but instead used super heavy duty forged triple loop split rings for added security, they'd be massive overkill for bass though? I'll keep them for when the BFT eventually arrive here?

If you want a multi-tool, go for it. They aren’t as quick and easy to use as the Halco’s, but if you only change split rings once in a while, then why not.

I use my Halco’s on everything from LRF size lures to heavy gauge stuff for hooks and pirks for Shetland, hence my preference.

As for cutting braid / mono on the beach or boat? I find a pair of clippers around my neck far more convenient. When it comes to unhooking, I prefer a pair of long nosed pliers.

As the saying goes, “You pays yer money and takes yer choice“.
Managed to find a UK supplier, ordered.

Shout out to Terry at jigabite.co.uk. ordered a pair of the Halco pliers sunday night they arrived in the post this morning. Did have another couple of suplliers send other bits too which also arrived this morning.
I am going to retire to my shed and split many many rings.

Update.
The Halco pliers really are a doddle to use. I have the Daiwa mini's on order too and will then be able to make a comparison.
That’s useful to know, I will have a look. Maybe the ones I have are too big, but certainly I struggle to use them and as stated before I resort to thumb nail……

Update.
The Halco pliers really are a doddle to use. I have the Daiwa mini's on order too and will then be able to make a comparison.
I’ve just been on the website Thrasher…..
So how do the pliers work as they don’t have any little pointy bits on the nose end to force the rings apart?

Back