• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Tip light?

What do you use, Tip light or tip tape?

• Tip light

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Tip tape anc torch

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters
Each to their own, but I like tape and torch as you can see the whole rod tip and any trembles or twitches as a bite develops.
As well as being able to see the movement of the line and discern what is wind or wave activity and what is a bite.

When I bought two secondhand rods several years ago, they had red tips lights fitted and I tried them for a session.
Just watching a bobbing point of light did my head in and one died, which didn’t help!
As soon as I got home I hacked the holders off and put tape on!

I really don't know what you lot are all fussing about. I find that if I build a big enough bonfire on the beach before I start then I can manage without tip lights, tape, torches and hurricane lamps! :oops: ;) :ROFLMAO:

I bought this pair of Daiwa High Performance Beach rods for £50 at a bootsale off an ancient bloke giving up his beloved beachcasting.

I'm surprised that no one on here has come up with such ingenuity? or is it miserliness? or Stupidity??

Saves messing about with headlamps, glow sticks, torches and the like??

View attachment 20608

In years past that solution was quite common on the Yorkshire beaches .

Two HPB’ s for £50.00 is a bargain , you did very well there .

Dave

Thanks for that Dave, yes - I know that there might be folks who think I robbed him but to be fair, it was the second boot of the day, so it was getting on and they had been there for others to buy before me? I asked what he wanted and never haggled? I know what they're worth, if he had asked for more I would have paid it.
I've only seen one other rod tip similar and that was a very large diameter hollow fibreglass, thick as a scaffold pole at the butt, that had the wires running inside to the batteries in the butt. Wire was in one piece, so he had to fold the butt up towards the tip when he packed the rod away.
Although I did start with a one candlepower hurricane lamp, it was always tilleys for me - I can still remember them glowing every few feet from Brid to Spurn, hissing away on those bitter cold nights when the cod was in! - remember them???

Being a southern softie, where a 15 yard walk to the mark is a marathon, I can happily fish by the soft sodium glow of the street lights along the promenade… ?
It isn't a case of being a 'Southern softie' for me - with my chest issues I just can't hike miles or get up & down slopes like I used to. I know what you mean though! ??

Just stick a bell on it.
There nothing more annoying than bldy ring a ding bells, make you want to throw the rod in the water.

When I was young and fairly new to beachcasting, my mate and I turned up at the beach to chuck out our lug a whole 30-40yrds on running ledgers expecting monster bass and usually blanking! He had brought a bell on a clip which he was excited about, telling me how he won’t miss a bite etc etc, he set up, cast out with a mighty thump, and his lead went sailing out into the ocean, unfortunately for him, his brand new clippy bell thing went sailing out to sea too… he’d forgotten to take it off before casting. I laughed myself silly at the look of despair on his face!

When I was young and fairly new to beachcasting, my mate and I turned up at the beach to chuck out our lug a whole 30-40yrds on running ledgers expecting monster bass and usually blanking! He had brought a bell on a clip which he was excited about, telling me how he won’t miss a bite etc etc, he set up, cast out with a mighty thump, and his lead went sailing out into the ocean, unfortunately for him, his brand new clippy bell thing went sailing out to sea too… he’d forgotten to take it off before casting. I laughed myself silly at the look of despair on his face!
My dad had at the top of the rod whipped on attachment with a thread on it where the bell was screwed in , stopped you falling a sleep in rough weather :p

I bought this pair of Daiwa High Performance Beach rods for £50 at a bootsale off an ancient bloke giving up his beloved beachcasting.

I'm surprised that no one on here has come up with such ingenuity? or is it miserliness? or Stupidity??

Saves messing about with headlamps, glow sticks, torches and the like??

View attachment 20608
that was a system out years back in 70'/80's some ran cable through tip

Years ago nearly all anglers fished with a bell , it was the in thing.:(
Still got one of those clothes pegs with a spring & a bell on it somewhere, but no idea where I've put it! ??

Years ago nearly all anglers fished with a bell , it was the in thing.:(
Until they brought out those starlight thingies for night fishing. 1000% better than the ting a ling c rap.

bluefish tiplights + mighty bright tape.

Back