• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

What’s your worst tackle purchase ?

I have the 5' and 6' Golds DB1's, they are very light, @Thrasher, you must have an original Supermatch, they are heavier... ;)

Ian.

I love my Shakespeare Tripod - yep, they are a bit heavy but well made. I've got the Shakespeare Salt rod holdall too, which has got a pouch & straps for the Tripod, so over your shoulder, it ain't too bad. Plus I'm not able to hike miles to marks anyway.
Plans & parts acquired to put another cup & 'V' fork on it for my spinning rod. One of them 'Roundtuit' jobs!
Way too heavy for my taste and at times I may need to walk a mile or two over rough terrain so the last thing I need is a heavy tripod.

Got the Salt holdall and don’t like it much, very unbalanced to my mind. It gets used sometimes for chesil but otherwise I just strap two rods and the tripod together.

But then it depends what fishing you do.

The AFAW Pro rod holdall, worst £100 I have ever spent. You need to be 6' plus to use it, when you are only 5' 8" like me, it isn't balanced at all, literally drags on the ground. But I will say it is well made, holds loads of gear, but not suitable for shortarses.. ;)

Ian.

I have the 5' and 6' Golds DB1's, they are very light, @Thrasher, you must have an original Supermatch, they are heavier... ;)

Ian.
Don't think it is although I would have to check. Hellish to say but I can't remember when, or where I bought it from, but I remember buying it before there was a bit of a shortage of them.
I must have bought it after the Imax FR Match plus rods and I bought them when they were discontinued.

Zipplex him, promo syncros, 2500 ptx, hsts, and couple other models ! Never again !

just really didn't l;ike them, felt like fishing with just a butt section plus the action of the rods were awful think the HST would of been ok if it had a better tip, the action on the rod was ok till you hit thepart which dealt with bite detection !

On reflection, my worst purchases have been floatation suits.

They are bulky, uncomfortable, impractical and have the waterproof quality's of a torn tea bag.

Thinking about it, the money I wasted on them over the years, I could have bought a brand new bib n brace and jacket from a quality outfitters like musto, HH or Gill.

Why it took me 15years to work that out, who knows.
I still maintain that if it's monsoon rain, you can't beat proper guy cotten oilskins.

Agree on the floatation suits, remember when imax came into fashion and you could tell who was a beginner as they would be on the beach in the brightest orange day glow attire.

I'm glad manufacturers have gone to sensible colours now.

I once bought a diawa tripod telescopic thing in the 2000s which was a pile of crap....rebranded Chinese tat.

Honorable mentions:

Vercelli unabomber was rubbish.

Anything traubacco.

Talon reel seats

Agree on the floatation suits, remember when imax came into fashion and you could tell who was a beginner as they would be on the beach in the brightest orange day glow attire.

I'm glad manufacturers have gone to sensible colours now.

I once bought a diawa tripod telescopic thing in the 2000s which was a pile of crap....rebranded Chinese tat.

Honorable mentions:

Vercelli unabomber was rubbish.

Anything traubacco.

Talon reel seats
Lol, I have two unabombers and really enjoy fishing with them.

Oh, Abu Griplock, bloody annoying things. They grip alright - usually need to hammer them open with a stone before I can get the reel back 🙄

Btw never bought one new, but four second hand rods I own are ‘blessed’ with the things 🙄

The worst thing i bought was a cheap reel, was either £5 or £8 in 1992.

I had not been fishing for years and had just finished house and all my tackle was in MIL's but went to get it and brother in law had fkin sold it.
So i bought a cheap second hand rod and reel from tackle shop in town and a couple of decent lures.
Staying at Sandymouth Bay Bude and daughter wanted to try fishing, i think there was a tragedy on the beach below not long before we went there so went higher up to Duckpool, she had 2 casts and on the 2nd the fkin bail arm fell off with a line out and me then trying to pull the lure tat was worth more in by hand.
No chance, so only rod left, no fishing that week

Almost 10 years ago when my CS pension paid out I banked the thousands and treated myself to a Century 15’Blackbird with the hundreds…..£327. Much more than I had ever spent o a rod. Didn’t matter though as I was going to cast to the horizon and catch loads of cod. Wrong……first practice cast on my field I realised the rod was far too stiff for me. Used it a couple of times fishing but didn’t enjoy it so it spent seven years sat in my garage until I managed to sell it for £200 to a chap who wanted to pair it with one he already owned.

like a good % of century rods

ive had several, and to be honest, none have lasted more that about 2 trips
cant stand them, or the feel of them

like a good % of century rods

ive had several, and to be honest, none have lasted more that about 2 trips
cant stand them, or the feel of them
It just hurt my old back Kris. A fishing mate of mine tried it, loved it, cast a long way with it but couldn’t justify buying it.

Back