• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Zziplex is back ?

Is the Profile Evo meant to take a reducer Mojocvh? Is that why you took the butt cap off? Not familiar with that model, is it a Centuty made one you have?

What? you saying I broke it. 👹

What I'm saying is the metal band was wedged inside the butt cap when I pulled it off.

I took it off to wash the inside of the butt clean of any post manufacture carbon dust etc like they say in their rod care info [which is good practice anyway]

I have been assured by a couple of rod builders that the metal band thing, whilst not common, isn't unheard of either.

Another thing is the tip section, at the spigot/joint being filled solid.

These are Century trademark items.

Is the Profile Evo meant to take a reducer Mojocvh? Is that why you took the butt cap off? Not familiar with that model, is it a Centuty made one you have?
As you know Century put metal trim-bands top and bottom of the but section, reinforcement for the spigot and for when using a reducer, but thankfully they only put the trim-bands on the butt cap end on the zziplex ones, so I believe they are for a reducer.

Ian.

So the rod in question is a Century made Zziplex 🤔 Factory built or made up from a blank? Genuinely interested to know....

I wasn't aware that reducers were suitable/available for Profile range. The only Profile rods I've cast have been the Match iirc and GT, both with the reel down about 10" from butt cap. I rarely use reducers myself.

Last edited:
So the rod in question is a Century made Zziplex 🤔 Factory built or made up from a blank? Genuinely interested to know....

I wasn't aware that reducers were suitable/available for Profile range. The only Profile rods I've cast have been the Match iirc and GT, both with the reel down about 10" from butt cap. I rarely use reducers myself.
I don't actually think that reducers are available for any of the Century built zziplex rods, not according to the zziplex website anyway, so why they have put the metal trim-band on the butt end is any ones guess.

Ian.

I don't actually think that reducers are available for any of the Century built zziplex rods, not according to the zziplex website anyway, so why they have put the metal trim-band on the butt end is any ones guess.

Ian.
None of the metal trim bands on Century are for reinforcing, they are to prevent the blank end fibres fraying.

That is staright from Simon Chilcott at Century whom I spoke to fairly often as used some of their boat blanks.

None of the metal trim bands on Century are for reinforcing, they are to prevent the blank end fibres fraying.

That is staright from Simon Chilcott at Century whom I spoke to fairly often as used some of their boat blanks.
Looks like Akios and Zulcron have taken a leaf out of the Century book then Stan, they have started doing the same on their rods it seems.

Ian.

Looks like Akios and Zulcron have taken a leaf out of the Century book then Stan, they have started doing the same on their rods it seems.

Ian.
Take your word for it. I built on Century boat and poping rods a lot, they had the bands. Built a heck of a lot more on Conoflex and they never had bands, beach, boat or up-tide and I never had a single breakage on any of them unless mechanical, i.e. car door etc. Never had a break on Century either

Not sure what the fuss is anyway, Zziplex are not "back", Century are using their mandrils and probably design detail to build a new range of Century rods using the zzipy name. Will not be long before they adapt things as they love the autoclave stuff and then they will not be Zzippies anymore, simples.

@stan m Have you worked on any of the Zulcron blanks ?, if so how would you rate them, I believe they are manufactured in China.

Ian.

@stan m Have you worked on any of the Zulcron blanks ?, if so how would you rate them, I believe they are manufactured in China.

Ian.
Nope, I stuck mainly with Conoflex, Harrison, Century, Pacbay, American tackle and zzipy if somebody gave me the blank. Some of the Chinese stuff coming out before I retired was excellent. On big game stand up and trolling even Conoflex could not match them for the price. Pacbay and AT stand up and tuna blanks were all on blanks made in China and they were superb, as were the alloy butts and reel seats.

I don`t fish much these days as circulation bother in the legs (smoking) but I do have me trout rod still and get the occasional day on the river. I had the choice of almost any fly blank in the world trade, Sage, Hardy (shite), Thomas and Thomas, CND, Harrison etc etc. My own fly rod is on a Bloke blank, made in China and I could not better it for action weight and feel. The expensive fly rods in the several hundreds are a rip off, I know that one well known fly rod manufacturer across the pond charges over a grand for a rod that is made far east and can be bought in batches of 50 trade at just over a $100

Last edited:
The trim bands - for that's what they are - serve a few purposes
1 they look good
2 they provide a clean, defining edge to butt the shrink tube up to on the spigot grips
3 they carry the engraved serial number

Having not yet seen a Century made Zziplex I don't know if they come fitted on a bought bare blank or if they carry a serial number nor for that matter are engraved with 'Zziplex' ?

I'd be interested to know please....

(Edited to remove typos)

Last edited:
1 they look good
2 they provide a clean, defining edge to butt the shrink tube up to on the spigot grips

Having not yet seen a Century made Zziplex I don't know if they come fitted on a bought bare blank or of they carry a serial number nor or that matter are engraved with 'Zziplex' ?

No idea, I do know that when I used the popping and Excalibur boat blanks they arrived at me with the bands in a bag, not factory fitted, I fitted them

1 they look good

Having not yet seen a Century made Zziplex I don't know if they come fitted on a bought bare blank or if they carry a serial number nor for that matter are engraved with 'Zziplex' ?

(Edited to remove typos)
Rod registration number is incorporated into the zziplex decal, trim band on but cap end just has a serial number on it, probably a production number, but nothing to do with the registration.

I do believe the blanks come fitted with the trim band, and shrink wrap on butt and spigot ends.

Ian.

20240310_172228.jpg
20240310_172249.jpg20240310_172538.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Wingnut 👍 Lord only knows why they don't cover the decal sticker with resin on their factory built rods! Strange omission if you ask me

Thanks Wingnut 👍 Lord only knows why they don't cover the decal sticker with resin on their factory built rods! Strange omission if you ask me
You and me both Tops, wouldn't take much would it, but Century don't do it on any of their rods for some odd reason. :(

Ian.

Rod registration number is incorporated into the zziplex decal, trim band on but cap end just has a serial number on it, probably a production number, but nothing to do with the registration.

I do believe the blanks come fitted with the trim band, and shrink wrap on butt and spigot ends.

Ian.

View attachment 60481
View attachment 60482View attachment 60483
Looks like cheaply made stuff that really won’t stand a few sessions without the varnish chipping off..👍

Back